Happy Back-to-School Month!
It’s hard to believe it’s September already—it seems like just last week the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration (ETA) was working to get a draft of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Final Rules out to the public workforce system.
Now, not only are the Final Rules out, but they are published in the Federal Register (more on that below).
Because this summer has been moving at a serious WIOA pace, we thought it might be a good idea to recap the progress that’s been made.
For starters, on August 19, 2016, the U.S. Departments of Labor and Education announced the publication of the WIOA Final Rules in the Federal Register:
Second, and perhaps just as important, there have been a number of quick reference guides and fact sheets produced to go along with these rules (in case you don’t have time to read thousands of pages); these are available here.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Joint Rule for Unified and Combined State Plans, Performance Accountability, and the One-Stop System Joint Provisions - Final Rule
(Effective Date: October 18, 2016)
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Department of Labor Only - Final Rule(Effective Date: October 18, 2016)
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program; State Supported Employment Services Program; Limitations on Use of Subminimum Wage - Final Rule
(Effective Date: September 19, 2016, with the exception of 34 CFR 361.10; 34 CFR 361.23; 34 CFR 361.40; and subparts D, E, and F of part 361, which become effective October 18, 2016)
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act: Miscellaneous Program Changes - Final Rule
(Effective Date: September 19, 2016, with the exception that the removal of part 388 becomes effective October 1, 2016)
- Programs and Activities Authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act) - Final Rule
(Effective Date: September 19, 2016, with the exception of subparts H, I, and J of part 463, which become effective October 18, 2016)
Next, in addition to just knowing what the Final Rules say, we understand that it is important to know how to manage the changes that result from these rules. To learn more about how ETA is providing resources to help, check out the latest post on ION.
Finally, to help you understand how to interpret the Final Rules, we have created a special category of ETA Events called “WIOA Wednesday.” These special webinars--some live, some pre-recorded--will feature subject-matter experts from ETA and our WIOA partner agencies who will drill down on a particular rule and how you can best apply them to help support your customers. You can find these WIOA Wednesday events here; register to reserve a seat today!
Below, you will find a WIOA twist to our regularly scheduled resource and event content, and we hope you find it useful as you continue your good work and the implementation of WIOA.
This Month's Featured Content
- WIOA 'ION Talks' - To help expand capacity for the changes called for under WIOA, the Employment and Training Administration has produced a series of ION Talks (Innovation and Opportunity Network) and accompanying discussion guides. The 3-part video series is designed to develop and equip leaders of change with a greater understanding of how they deal with change, and how to initiate and manage change. These short and engaging “TED-like” talks assist teams in exploring the impact change is having on the team itself, its members, and the organization. Become a champion of change! Get the ION Talks, discussion guides, and a facilitator tip sheet on the ION Community of Practice.
Recent WIOA-Related Guidance
- TEGL 8-16: Implementation of an Integrated Performance Reporting System for Multiple Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) Administered Programs.
- TEGL 7-16: Joint guidance with the Department of Education on exchanging confidential UC information with educational and training providers to meet the performance accountability requirements of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
- TEGL 42-15, Change 1: Announces the Publication and Effective Dates of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Final Rules in the Federal Register on August 19, 2016.
- TEGL 6-16: Provides guidance for WIOA Employment Recovery Dislocated Worker Grant (DWG) Alternative Application Submission Pilot
- TEGL 4-16: Provides guidance and information on the requirement to have participants of the U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service's (VETS) homeless veterans’ programs enroll in WIOA title I workforce programs available through AJCs.
All WIOA-related guidance can be found here.