Small businesses are the backbone of our economy, creating two out of every three new jobs in America. The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) allows local workforce systems to support youth and adults gain the entrepreneurial skills necessary to engage in work as an entrepreneur. This month we highlight resources that amplify entrepreneurship as a service strategy.
WIOA Qualifying Activities Supporting Entrepreneurship
WIOA qualifying activities supporting entrepreneurship include skills and education training; career awareness and counseling; and services providing labor market and employment information about in-demand industry sectors.
WorkforceGPS is full of successful practices, tools and webinars that highlight the various work-based learning strategies. We have gathered many of these resources in one location, taken from a number of communities including Apprenticeship, Innovation and Opportunity Network, LMI Central, and the Self-Employment Assistance Center. Additional resources are constantly being added as this approach to learning becomes more and more recognized as a win-win for the individual and the employer.
Supporting and fostering a culture of self-employment assistance (SEA) and entrepreneurship is an important priority for the public workforce system. The following Workforce System Strategies resources provide insights relating to effectively initiating and supporting this priority, including:
Services to Veterans
Veterans’ Day may be November 11, but veterans and eligible spouses receive priority of service every day for all Department of Labor (DOL)-funded job training programs, including WIOA programs. To make sure that these servicemen and women receive these important services, DOL has developed several resources that provide easy access to career exploration tools, training, and jobs. WorkforceGPS has created a resource page that is designed to provide links and information for workforce development professionals regarding services to veterans and their spouses.
Military Spouse Resource Center
Compared to civilians, military spouses are 10 times more likely to have moved to a new state in the last year due to military relocation. For those who work in licensed occupations it can be time-consuming and costly to obtain licensure in a new state. The Military Spouse Resource Center is a collection of resources addresses a range of employment challenges and links to organizations that provide support to military spouses and families; including education and business development.
- BLS Apps for the Occupational Outlook Handbook and Local Data are Now Available: The U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released an app version of the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH).
So, in addition to the BLS Local Data App, data users can now download the CareerInfo app, available for both Apple iOS and Android devices.
- Example Apprenticeship Standards and Work Processes: As employers, colleges, workforce organizations, and others work to
develop and register apprenticeship programs, samples of standards and work
processes from existing apprenticeships can be helpful building blocks. This
list of resources can be used to access Example Apprenticeship Standards and Work Processes.
- Participant Individual Record Layout (PIRL) - **AMENDED**: The Participant
Individual Record Layout (PIRL) was developed collaboratively by the U.S.
Departments of Labor and Education as a part of the Workforce Innovation and
Opportunity Act (WIOA) performance
accountability related provisions. The PIRL, which is composed of two
documents, represents a set of common definitions that are shared across
multiple programs for performance reporting.
- Ten-Year Employment Projections and the Occupational Outlook Handbook:
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has issued its long-term employment projections for 2028, using 2018 as the base year. Please refer to the News Release and the Monthly Labor Review article for an overview and highlights.
BLS issues the ten-year national employment projections on an annual basis now, and they have become one of the most valuable datasets BLS provides along with the unemployment rate data BLS releases.
- Voices of Experience: Video on Local One-Stop Partnerships: This video features five practitioners who discuss the value of creating, building and maintaining One-Stop partnerships with other local entities that serve common populations. The participants discuss their successes in establishing such partnerships by leveraging multiple funding sources and fostering improved, integrated services for programs serving ex-offenders, TANF recipients and individuals seeking General Equivalency Diplomas.
- Wagner-Peyser ES and UI - Supporting the Reemployment of UI Claimants: WIOA includes many provisions intended to strengthen the role of ES Staff in supporting UI claimants throughout their job search and reemployment. This page identifies strategies, research, and resources that can be linked and braided together to provide UI beneficiaries, dislocated workers, and other ES participants with pathways to reemployment.
- WIOA Unified and Combined State Plan Resources: State Plan Portal Podcast - A discussion with leaders from the U.S. Departments of Labor, Education, Health and Human Services on the importance of combined state plans.
Upcoming Public Events
Recent Public Events
- SMART 3.0 Series: Payments and Cash Management: October 17, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: Procurement and Contract Administration: October 15, 2019
- Partnering with Conservation Corps for Out-of-School Youth and Young Adult Outcomes: October 10, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: Budget Management and Grant Modifications: October 08, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: Financial Management: Procedures and Internal Controls: October 03, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: Subrecipient Management and Oversight: October 01, 2019
- Incorporating National Service into Your Construction Plus Programming and Placement: October 01, 2019
- Conversation about Youth Individual Service Strategies: September 27, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: Uniform Guidance: Cost Principles and Cost Classification: September 26, 2019
- SMART 3.0 Series: ETA Grant Management Overview - Readiness Assessment: September 24, 2019
The WorkforceGPS Team
Helping You Navigate to Success Today
|U.S. Department of Labor
Employment & Training Administration