Founded in October 2015, the New Start Career Network (NSCN) is a program for New Jersey residents age 45 and older who have been out of work or underemployed for at least six months. The network provides its members access to free, personalized career services, including web-based information resources and in-person and virtual career coaching to help them on their path back to employment.
Operated by the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University, the New Start Career Network’s (NSCN) resources include:
- INFORMATION and ADVICE about the labor market, careers, and education and training options delivered via a website and tutorials that enable individuals to make wise choices and improve job search skills
- COACHING through peer-support networks, job clubs and via a volunteer job coaching corps
- INCENTIVES that encourage employers to provide trial employment opportunities and on-the-job training for long-term unemployed job seekers
- EMPLOYER ENGAGEMENT and COMMITMENTS from employers to reform hiring practices, building upon initiatives undertaken by the White House and AARP
- ACCESS and REFERRAL to a broad range of services, including education, training, mental health counseling, and financial advising, through a network of strategic partners
Members receive a Tip of the Week delivered to them via email every Tuesday. The tip features information about upcoming events and webinars, job search advice, and job opportunities. The New Start Career Network also runs its own job fair just for just its members, held twice a year in the spring and fall. Each month, a variety of events are provided including interactive webinars about job search techniques, strategies to stay positive while members look for work, and a wide range of other topics. These webinars are recorded and stored on the website so that they can be viewed on demand.
Many organizations partner New Start Career Network providing a variety of resources, including education and training, low-cost high-speed Internet access, and mental health support.
Source: New Start Career Network
Information: Maria Heidkamp, NSCN Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 848-932-1490